Thursday, February 23, 2006

Stalled on Troll Slayer

There have been a few good discussions that have got me thinking about Troll Slayer, and I've been pounding away on character generation rules. But the more I get into this, the more I realize I really don't want to design a new game. What I really want is to polish off Cold Iron and make it something complete and maybe tweak a few things. I've found myself slicing up character generation, cutting things out and such, and then realizing, gee, I think the only reason I'm cutting that out is to make Troll Slayer not Cold Iron.

Really, when it comes down to it, for me, Cold Iron is awfully damned close to a playable game. Sure, there are a few things here and there that I'd change. But the core mechanics, they work for me.

I'm also realizing that right now, I don't want to have to design a game, I just want to have a game that is playable, and that folks are interested in, and play the damned thing.

Frank

Update: And guess what - I've got permission to publish something that IS Cold Iron...

1 comment:

Frank said...

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll have to read your new CART when I have a chance to sit down with it.

One suggestion off the top though, try separating the descriptions of the mechanic as it's used in play from the description of how it works mathematically. I've found that most players don't need to understand normal distributions to be able to use the Cold Iron chart.

Also one other bit - please credit Mark Christiansen on the normal distribution chart, he's the one who came up with the idea, I'm just planning on stealing it for Troll Slayer...

Frank