Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A bit of fun

Dude! You're 81% from Massachusetts!

Okay, either you come from the western half of the state or from the Boston area. Still, it's not bad, so I'll give you the thumbs up. Cool!

How Massachusetts are you?



The one's that kept me from 100% were a pronounciation one (quin-sea vs. quin-zee), and "wicked pissa" (never heard that one), and not being annoyed by "Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd" (I actually don't hear that one very often). I do wonder if younger folks from Massachusetts would know the difference between a milkshake and a frappe, and with the advent of nationwide chains, you're a lot less likely to get a surprise if you order a shake in Massachusetts these days (for the uniniatied, in Massachusetts, a milkshake is literally milk shaken up, there's no icecream in it, a frappe is the thing with icecream).

The pronounciation ones point out how local accents are in Massachusetts. "Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd" is a Boston accent. Out in the suburbs where I grew up, there is a totally different accent (in fact, I once was told I had a Concord accent - I think one of the characteristics of a Concord accent is the pronounciation of the town name as kon-KERD, very similar to how you would pronounce conquered, and definitely NOT kon-KORD).

Frank

No comments: